Monday, May 01, 2006

New Obsession: Guitar Hero

I learned of this game friday, I bought it Sunday, I've played it all day to spite my numerous exams towmorrow. If you haven't heard of it the premis is this: your controller is a big guitar. There is a scrolling screen and you must play the correct chord as it scrolls by on the screen. It sounds dumb... it is unspeakabally fun. I'm half way through on medium. If you have 70 dollars and a PS2 stop reading this and go buy it.
The one area in which it could improve is song selection. Now don't get me wrong... it has good songs... but there could be so much more. What I've included on the bottom is my "Ultimate Guitar Sons Wish List" for Guitar Hero 2 (November). I have included two sections, A "maybe if I'm lucky" and a "I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be awesome?" They are listed in alphebetical order.

Maybe If I'm Lucky:
1. You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC
2. Again, Alice in Chains
3. Smooth Criminal, Alien Ant Farm
4. She Is Beautiful, Andrew WK
5. Hard to Handle, The Black Crows
6. Paranoid, Black Sabbath
7. Damnit, Blink 182
8. One Way or Another, Blondie
9. Train in Vain, The Clash
10. Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits
11. Do You, Electric Light Orchestra
12. Go Away, Godsmack
13. Welcome to the Jungle, Guns and Roses
14. Lust For Life, Iggy Pop
15. Folsom Prison Blues, Johnny Cash
16. Somebody Told Me, The Killers
17. Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd
18. Hair of the Dog, Nazereth
19. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
20. Bad Habbit, Offspring
21. Bulls on Parade, Rage Against the Machine
22. Black Betty, Ram Jam
23. Paint it Black, Rolling Stones
24. Tom Sawyer, Rush
25. Rock me Like a Hurricane, The Scorpions
26. Rock This Town, Stray Cats
27. Last Night, The Strokes
28. Fox on the Run, Sweet
29. Cat Scratch Fever, Ted Nugent
30. We're Not Gonna Take It, Twisted Sister
31. Dirty Little Thing, Velvet Revolver
32. Blister in the Sun, Violent Femmes
33. Fell in Love With a Girl, White Stripes
34. My Generation, The Who

I Know I'm Dreaming But Wouldn't It Be Awesome?:
1. The Great White Buffalo, Amboy Dukes
2. Satan Gave Me a Taco, Beck
3. Sapceball, Bide Ou Blade
4. What do I Get?, The Buzzcocks
5. Holliday in Cambodia, Dead Kennedys
6. Last Train to Mars, The DethHolz
7. Anyway, Dynamite Hack
8. Danger High Voltage, Electric Six
9. I'll Stick Around, Foo Fighters
10. Squash That Fly, Fu Manchu
11. Ready Steady Go, Generation X
12. Cattle and the Creeping Thins, The Hold Steady
13. Eiffel Tower High, Husker Du
14. People Who Died, Jim Carroll Band
15. High, Jimmy's Chicken Shack
16. Awkward Age, Joe Jackson Band
17. Velvet Underground, Jonathan Richman
18. My Guitar, Jump Little Children
19. Hush, Kula Shaker
20. Who Rocks the Party, Les Savy Fav
21. Jonathan Winters Frankenstein, Man... or Astroman?
22. Stone Cold Crazy, Metallica
23. Last Caress, The Misfits
24. Loose, Primer 55
25. Beer for Breakfast, The Replacements
26. Alternative Ulster, Stiff Little Fingers
27. Warren Zevon's Gonna Die, Too Hip for the Room
28. Head Held High, Velvet Underground
29. Disorder in the House, Warren Zevon
30. Indifference of Heaven, Warren Zevon
31. Doctor Rock, Ween
32. Surf Wax America, Weezer
33. Common People, William Shatner
34. Hockey Monkey, The Zambonies

I decided not to include any bands that already had a song in the first game. I also decided not to let anyone have two songs on the list. However I do have two Warren Zevon songs... but I feel this is justified because Warren Zevon doesn't play the Guitar on "Disorder in the House", Bruce Springsteen does. This is why I was forced to leave the song "Glory Days" off the list. I know I didn't need to explain this to anyone, but at least now I feel better.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Don't you think this could be, like the new karaoke? I would totally go to a bar if I could play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on Guitar Hero there...

6:48 PM  
Blogger Blake Stockdale said...

I think it should be combined with Kareoke. I sing Smells Like Teen Spirit while you play it on the guitar. What the hell, I know how to mumble.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home