Thursday, April 06, 2006

Got Some Rankings, no movies this time

High Fedelity, Nick Hornby
I just loved reading this book. It was fun, it talked a lot about being a guy, it talked a lot about music, it talked a lot about caring a lot about something that isn't important. I like these topics. The book is fun, its enjoyable. Most importantly it sets up a situation where you can identify with the main character, you can put yourself in his shoes... but you don't nescesarily like him. It's great when a book can do this... you don't necsesarily think the main character is a good guy... but your still kind of pulling for him. I would reccomend this book for anybody who likes books, anybody who likes music, or for anyone who has ever been in a relationship.
-This is now my 27th favorite book of all time, and makes Nick Hornby my 19th favorite author of all time.

V for Vandetta, Alan Moore
This isn't my highest ranked book of the day, but I would venture to say it's my most important. I realize that I said I was ranking graphic novels as short stories, but I asked my gut, and my gut told me V for Vandetta was more of a novel than a short story. I must have spent at least 6 or 7 hours reading the damn thing, longer than some of the novels on that list I'm sure. This is opposed to roughly 90 minutes to 2 hours for a Sin City book. But anyway, beyond the importance of this ranking... it was also just a very good book. I think it would have ended up short of most of the Sin City books if I ranked it with them... but it was still very good. It's a pretty interesting story, and the character of V gets developed much better in the book than in the movie. Overall, the trend continues with this book being better than the movie. I'd say the best thing about this book is that when totalitorian futures are ussually shown they ussually seem all futuristic and wierd. In this one it looks a lot like the world we live in now... only the government tells you waht to do and than kills you. But back to "rankings bable" this book helped me answer an important question... "can graphic novels compete with regular novels for good rankings?" The answer is yes.
- V for Vandetta is now ranked as my 59th favorite novel of all time.

And now to change things up a bit, I have also ranked one song.

Common People, William Shatner
I told you it was coming. I really do enjoy this song... not a little bit... a lot. Honestly, I can't stop listening. And I know your going to tell me, "he's not singing he's talking." Well you know what? So is Kanye West. I love this song, I love its lyrics, I love the back up vocals, and yes I love the way William Shatner sings/says this song. And it gets stuck in you head like a carniverous ear wig. I totally reccommend that you download (legally of chorse) this song if you get the chance.
-Common People by William Shatner is now my 207th favorite song.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Recently I guess some guy did a version of "Common People" with the voice of the guy from Doctor Who. I wonder if Pulp ever imagined this happening, and if they are flattered or upset.

12:30 PM  
Blogger ZT Krugman said...

Oh, by the way, my ranking of the versions of "Common People"

1) William Shatner
2) Pulp
3) Dr. Who

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home