Monday, August 14, 2006

Top 1,000 Songs: 301-400

I think I've explained the premise enough...

301. E Pro, Beck
302. Molly, Sponge
- Heard this song once on the radio, loved it, had no idea who sang it. Aquired it about 4 years later... still love it

303. Get Rhythm, Johnny Cash
- Acctually had heard this song till I saw "Walk the line". Very good movie, and added a very good song to my list.

304. Convenient Parking, Modest Mouse
- I had heard this song about a dozen times before I realized they were just saying the same thing over and over again

305. I Choose, Offspring
306. I Wanna Go Home, The Beach Boys
307. Trouble Waiting to Happen, Warren Zevon
"I turn on the news to the third World War, open up the paper to World War Four, just when I thought it was safe to be bored... trouble waiting to happen"

308. Keg Party Girls, Beck
- This is an unreleased demo from way back, get your hands on it if you can

309. Gorilla You’re a Desperado, Warren Zevon
- "Big Gorilla at the LA Zoo, snatched the glasses right off my face, took the keys to my BMW, left me here to take my place."

310. TV Party, Black Flag
- You may recognize this song from the parody of it done in the show Futurama

311. Country Death Song, Violent Femmes
312. That’s What Everybody Else Does, Dee Dee Ramone
313. You and Me and the Moon, The Magnetic Fields
314. Don’t Mess Around with Jim, Jim Croche
315. Insane in the Brain, Cypriss Hill
316. My Babies All Liquored Up, Mojo Nixon
317. Block Rocking Beats, Chemical Brothers
318. Wrong Way, Sublime
319. Flowers on the Wall, The Statler Brothers
- This has to be the flat out coolest country song ever thats not written by Johnny Cash

320. Rocking All Over the World, John Foggerty
321. Fox on the Run, Sweet
322. Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads
323. Who Do You Love, George Thuroughgood
324. I Was in Love with a Girl on LSD, Tom Petty
- This is a funny happy song about Tom Petty's relationships with girls addicted to various controled substances

325. When Doves Cry, Prince
- I don't much care for Prince, but he probobly is a genius

326. Iko-Iko, Warren Zevon
327. Spiderman, Tenacious D
- The third, final, and strangest version of this theme song to make my list

328. Istanbul, They Might Be Giants
329. All I Want, Offspring
330. Oh Shit, The Buzzcocks
331. This Land is Your Land (Live), Bruce Springsteen
332. Hem of Your Garment, Cake
-"I am intrensiclly no good, I have a heart that's made of wood, and I am only biding time, only reciting memorized lines"

333. Maxwell Murder, Rancid
334. The Sins of Memphisto, John Prine
-One of my all time Top Ten favorite single rhyme lines:
"Sally used to play with hula hoops, now she tells her problems to theropy groups."

335. Gentle on My Mind, John Hartford
336. Lounge, Modest Mouse
337. Dance Motherfucker, Violent Femmes
338. The Way I Feel, Rancid
339. Slapshot man, The Zambonies
340. If I Only Had a Brain, MC 900 Foot Jesus
341. Ocean Man, Ween
342. Bananas and Blow, Ween
343. I Believe in a Thing Called Love, The Darkness
344. The Midnight Special, CCR
- Saw a random cover band play this song at Fremont in Las Vegas, one of the funnest moments of the trip

345. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, Warren Zevon
- wonderful lead in for the song "Party for the Rest of the Night" which will appear later in the list

346. Suck in the Middle With You, Stealers Wheel
- Wouldn't it be nice if people acctuallys started knowing who sings this song, and stop labeling it as Bob Dylan all the time?

347. Gangsta’s Paradise, Techno Cover
348. Pepper, Butthole Surgers
349. I Predict a Riot, Kaiser Chiefs
350. Gimme Three Steps, Lynyrd Skynyrd
351. Rock and Roll McDonalds, Wesley Willis
- Another one of those songs I shouldn't like but can't help but love

352. Never There, Cake
353. Jungle Love, Steve Miller Band
354. Big Bang Baby, Stone Temple Pilots
355. The Good Times Are Killing Me, Modest Mouse
356. Listed MIA, Rancid
357. Never Talking to You Again, Husker Du
358. I Held Her in My Arms, Violent Femmes
359. Tire Me, Rage Against the Machine
360. Sheep Go to Heaven, Cake
361. Get a Haircut, George Thourougood
362. Take a Walk on the Wild Side, Lou Reed
363. Spanish Pipedream, John Prine
364. Rock Me Like a Hurricane, The Scorpions
- I am tempted to say on the first day of teaching a class as a student teacher to say, "I'm going to read the class list. Now when I read your name please say here, and let the word here stand for the words, 'Here I am, Rock me like a Hurricane'." But that would be unprofessional, I'd likely be fired.

365. Breed, Nirvana
366. Merry Christmas From the Family, Robert Earl Keen
- Great song about Christmas with the Keen family. Favorite line: "Brother Ken brought his kids with him, the three from his first wife Lynn, and the two identical twins from his second wife Maralynn. Of chorse he brought his new wife Kay, who talks all about AA, chain smoking while the stero plays Noel, Noel."

367. Again, Alice in Chains
368. Me and the Boys, Dave Edmunds
369. Poor Poor Pittiful Me, Warren Zevon
- "I'd lay my head on the railroad tracks and wait for the double E, but the railroad don't want no more, of poor poor pittiful me."

370. Paper Thin Walls, Modest Mouse
- "Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank"

371. There She Was, Marcy’s Playground
372. Wasting Time, Kid Rock
- "I'm a pimp, you can check my stats. And rolling to Fleetwood that's how I Mac."

373. Stone Cold Crazy, Queen
374. Lonely at the Top, Randy Newman
375. Kick Out the Jams, Presidents of the United States of America
376. Minus, Beck
377. Rollout, Ludacris
378. Project Bitch, Cash Money Millionairs
- Cash Money Records might very well be my favorite name for a production company ever.

379. Traveling Band, CCR
- I recently learned that 38 Special does a very good cover of this song

380. Long Tall Sally, Little Richard
381. Monster Mash, The Misfits
- Not sure that this is the Misfits, but it is a really sweet punk cover of this song.

382. 96 Tears, ? and the Mysterians
383. Platau, Nirvana
384. Mutherfucker, Beck
385. Sheena is a Punk Rocker, Ramones
386. Fight For Your Right to Party, Beastie Boys
387. Hard to Handle, The Black Crows
388. Enjoy Yourself, A+
389. To Have and Have Not, Billy Bragg
- "Just because your better than me doesn't mean I'm Lazy. Just because your going forward doesn't mean I'm going backwards"

390. Fade Away, Pearl Jam
391. Glory Days, Bruce Springsteen
392. Pressure Zone, Beck
393. I Fought the Law, The Clash
394. Your Little Hoodrat Friend, The Hold Steady
- "Your little Hoodrat frined's been calling me again, and I can't stand all the things that she sticks into her skin. Like sharpened ball point pens and steal guitar strings... she says it hurts but its worth it."

395. Tie Your Mother Down, Queen
396. Disney is the Enemy, Mojo Nixon
397. Greatest Song in the World Tribute, Tenacious D
398. Tom Sawyer, Rush
399. It Takes Two, Rob Base and DJ Easy Rock
400. Billy Jean, Michael Jackson
- I don't care for Michael Jackson as a person or an artist... but this really is a pretty sweet song.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZT Krugman said...

So apparently I have 1686 songs on my computer. I've been thinking I could outdo you by making a list of my 1500 favorite songs of all time...but that just seems ridiculous.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Blake Stockdale said...

It does, and it would force me to rank songs that I don't even like, and/or have never heard in my "Top 183,000 songs" segment.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home