Friday, July 28, 2006

Workin' 4 a Livin'

Thought I'd make a post about the relative pluses and minuses of my carear in the Convenience Smart industry. I have now worked for Kwik Trip for 5 or 6 weeks, and feel I can give a fairly accurate portrayal of the situation.

Things I like about working at Kwik Trip:
1. I like Restocking Bread and bananas, facing the store, and refilling the cooler. Basically I like any pointless meaningless task in which I can make something as orginized as is humanely possible.
2. I enjoy chashiering for the occasional people who are calm, friendly, and not in a terribally big hurry.
3. In a given 8 hour shift I am likely to hear at least 2-3 Huey Lewis songs
4. I enjoy making coffee, because than people buy it, and drink it, and I feel I have accomplished something truly great
5. I enjoy pretending to be interested in the covers of such magazines as "People" when they are purchased by women.
6. I enjoy appearing to be very impressed when people are able to pay for reasonabally expensive purchases with exact change.
7. I enjoy selling children candies and ice creams
8. It's air conditioned in there
9. My manager seems a fairly nice sort
10. I am getting extremely good at determining exactly what brand of ciggeretes a person is going to buy based on their age, gender, race, hight/weight, and apparent religous affilliation or sexual orintation... which is a fairly fun game. Oh, and also they pay me.

Things I don't like about working at Kwik Trip
1. Needed to I.D. people who are clearly over 18 because they don't look over 30 years old
2. Selling a person 50 dollars worth of scratch off tickets, having them come back in to cash in those tickets for 30 dollars and buy 30 dollars worth of tickets, having them come back and cash in those tickets for 10 dollars, not seeing them again untill tomorrow.
3. Having to drop all my 20s into the safe. If someone is going to take the time and effort to rob a gas station, they should at least get a little bit of a reward for it.
4. Somehow now that I work there the thought of eating their hot dogs seems unsettelling... and I like those hot dogs.
5. Having to sell ciggerettes to people who are clearly cancer patients from Mayo.
6. Suggestive Selling, when I walk into a convenience store I know what I want to buy, and I don't need anybody telling me to buy a cookie, or a fountain drink, or whatever else they want us to try to sell
7. Don't like working the early shift with middle-aged "Carear Kwik Trip Employee Women" who take the job slightly more seriously than I would like to
8. That "No Shirt, No Service" rule apparently applies to female customers as well
9. This job does not satisfy my creative need to make professional spin art
10. I know that on any given day it really wouldn't be a big deal if I showed up or not

All these complaints aside I enjoy working at Kwik Trip. The work is fine and the majority of the people I work with are nice enough. Some of the customers are angry, stupid, and unreasonable, but your gonna see some of that whereever you work. Overall I'd say its a pretty decsent job, and if your looking for one and you live in the tri-state area (Wisco/Minn/Iowa) I'd say give em' call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home