Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fat Hairy Man in a Swim Cap got me Thinking

This thursday I experienced one of the funnest days I have had in some time. I spent the day at Valley Fair Ammusment park with Shannon. The funnest part of this day was spent at the water park inside Valley Fair. However, it was also here that something odd happened. While waiting in line for our first water slide I noticed a man. He was not hard to notice. He was about 270 pounds with tiny chicken legs. He was unbelievabally hairy. He was wearing a swim cap. I thought little of it however. Well Shannon and I went on this ride (which turned out to be the best ride in the water park) and than 2 or 3 others. Than I noticed that Hairy Swimcap was once again in line for that first ride we went on. I of chorse commented to Shannon, "Hey, Hairy Swimcap is on that ride again" To which Shannon replied, "I guess he likes it." After riding down the rest of the slides in the water park Shannon and I decided to try that first ride a second time. Sure enough there was Hairy Swimcap in line right in front of us. By this time we had been in the water park for over two hours. And it was completely obvious that this fat hairy man had been riding this single ride over and over for the entire time we were there. There was also the distinct possibility that he had been riding that one ride for many hours before we even got to the water park. Upon riding that ride a second time we found it fun, yet not nearly as fun as before. Yet for all we know that fat hairy man was able to enjoy that one ride for hours or maybe even days at a time. I found something very childlike in that. I remember a time when I could go see the same movie three or four times in theaters, or rent it a dozen times year. I remember a time when I could spend three or four hours in my back yard seeing how high I could kick a soccor ball into the air. But most of all I remember riding a roller coaster 4 or 5 times in row, and having it be just as fun every single time. Theres something about being a kid that makes repetition ok, and I don't know what it is. They say kids have much shorter attention spans, but this really makes it seem like the opposite is true. I use to be able to sit in front of the TV, and watch the same episodes of the same shows I've already seen for 4 or 5 hours at a time without doing anything else. Now if theres a rerun of a sitcom on TV I can only watch it about 10 minutes without dicking around on the internet. This was really one of the first times I ever missed being a kid. And with all the thousands of kids at Valley Fair that day, it was a fat hairy man in a swim cap that got me thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home