Thursday, February 16, 2006

Saw that Vagina Play About Vaginas

So I went to see that Vagina play on monday (I saw it was the day Shannon and I were celebrating St. Valenteins Day so decided to buy tickets). It was pretty good on the whole. I think with the style of the play it really hinges on good acting, and it was done very well for a college performance. I must admit I did get a little bored at times, mainly towards the end, and my mind did start to wander.
However, on the whole I was impressed that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I ussually become very suspecious of groups, shows, or performances that focus on a single demographic and demand that it be respected or impowered. I've never really felt the need to respect whites because they are white or Asians because they are from Asians because they are from Asia or Tall people because they are tall or in this case women because they are women. I think people sould be respected because of the human being that they are. Ive always felt that anyone who defines themselves primarilly by a demogaphic that they are in are doing so at the expense of an actual individual personallity.
But that didn't really seem to be the crux of the argument for the V-M's. It was more about talking about the things women have to deal with, which I'm sure is a lot. On the whole I'd say that if you like plays, and you have an hour and a half to kill, I'd say, "Yeah, what the hell, go see the Vaginas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home